Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lab 4

 

                

               In lab 5 from week 4 we finally began the instruction and operation of a professional GIS system named ArcGIS. The assignment of lab 5 is to utilize ArcMap from ArcGIS to create maps which outlines an airport expansion along with data on lands that will be affected by the proposed expansion. Given this my first experience with a GIS system, I was both excited and a bit intimated by the seemingly complicated interface. Fortunately, thanks to the extremely detailed and step-by-step tutorial PDF I was able to progress smoothly through the assignment with little difficulty until I ran into that infamous bug.
                Like many others from the lab, I encountered a problem such that the population field from the tracts layer would lose all its data once I add an additional field for population density. The problem remains even after I attempted the steps aimed to resolve this issue suggested by the TA. Finally, in the following lab session I found that I am not supposed to delete the newly created population density field when I attempt rejoining even if it’s filled with null data.  After overcoming this troublesome bug I managed to proceed and finish the assignment without much difficulty. The only other problem that I encountered was toward the end when the instruction manual requires us to modify the elements of the legend for the schools and noise contour map without demonstrating how to do so. Fortunately it didn't long for me to find the right options in the legend properties window.
               Though my overall experience with ArcGIS was pleasant, there were definitely some inconveniences in the process. For example, many actions or events in ArcMap cannot be undone through the edit menu. This is especially frustrating for me because most programs that I've used trace every action such that mistakes can always be fixed with a simple ctrl+z. Moreover, the display area does not seem to be synchronized with the table of contents. For instance, ArcMap doesn't automatically reflect my selection in the display area unto the table of contents. It would be more convenient if a layer in the table of contents is automatically selected whenever I click on the corresponding layer in the display area. Another slight inconvenience is that browsing seems a bit unintuitive in ArcCatalog, especially when I try to navigate to an arbitrary folder that’s not under the root directory or existing database locations.
                GIS systems such as ArcGIS are an essential tool for professionals such as geographers or engineers. In ArcGIS, data are organized into layers so that different kinds of data can be easily edited without affecting others. Layers also enable maps to display different level of information on top of each other at the same time. ArcGIS also allows users to embed lots of useful elements, such as texts, legends, or scale bars to make their maps more informative. However, the sheer amount of functionalities within ArcGIS makes the program seems rather complicated. Without a user-friendly interface or extensive tutorials, ArcGIS may appear daunting to beginners or non-professionals.  Also, license for a professional GIS application like ArcGIS is rather expensive. Most people would be limited to neogeographic tools because of the extensive amount of money and time needed for professional GIS tools. 


No comments:

Post a Comment